July 13-Aug 17, 2017
Thursdays 6-7:45 pm; $149
with Michelle Marlahan
“Start doing yoga right.” This was the title of an email that I received from a well-known studio chain in NYC. And it was the inspiration for this series.
If by “right” they mean good for my body type, my joint structure, my goals, my mood and the season, then great!
If not, are they suggesting we should all wear the same size shoes?
One of our mottos here at IAY is: There’s no one right way to do a pose.
You are a different person than you were 10 years ago. Your needs are different, your goals have changed, your physical body is different!
And factors like injury, childbirth, age and medical conditions make these differences even more essential to honor.
In this module, we will look at the basic categories of poses: seated, standing, twists, forward bends, backward bends and inversions.
Inside those pose categories you will learn:
- Overarching principles to support you through any practice
- How to individualize poses according to specific needs
- How to work with injuries and what to avoid
- How to “deepen” in a pose as you progress
- An overview of the qualities and benefits of the different pose categories
Includes individual attention and time for participant questions. Come and personalize your practice to optimize your joy in asana.
This module includes:
- 6 weeks of specialized instruction on asana alignment
- a personal daily craft journal
All levels of practitioners are welcome. Class size is limited for maximum participation. Sign up here.